Race location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Race date: Sunday 2 March 2014
We will look forward to seeing you at registration on Saturday 1 March between 2pm-6pm, at The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth
Mountain to Surf Marathon Course starts at the gates to Egmont National Park (Egmont Road), 460m above sea level, running down Egont Road through the green dairy pastures of Taranaki and finishes at Marine Park, Waitara.
We extend a warm welcome to competitors and supporters.
We trust you will all enjoy running/walking one of New Zealand’s most interesting marathon courses. We look forward to plenty of ‘personal bests” and we are sure you will have a memorable time.
- Event Options Available
- Timing Transponders
- Start Times
- Marathon and Marathon relay start notes
- Gear Vans
- Walking Etiquette
- Race Officials
- Marathon Two Person Relay Team identification
- Marathon Two Person Relay Team changeover at Inglewood
- Teams at Finish
- Finishing Time
- Race Reports
- Drinks and refreshments
- Race Photos
- Spot Prizes
- Happy Hour
- Our Chosen Charity – Child Cancer Society
- Sponsors – please support our sponsors!
Event Options Available – walkers and runners welcome
- Marathon – 42.2km point to point course (from the gates of Egmont National Park to Marine Park, Waitara). For full course details refer here
- Marathon Relay (2 person team – change over at half way at Inglewood – each do 21.1km, point to point course (from the gates of Egmont National Park to Marine Park,Waitara). For full course details refer here
- Marathon Relay (4 person team – change over at half way at Inglewood – 1st leg 9km, 2nd leg 10.4km, 3rd leg 10.6km and 4th leg 12.2km), point to point course (from the gates of Egmont National Park to Marine Park,Waitara).
- Half Marathon – 21.1km point to point course (from Inglewood to the Marine Park, Waitara). For full course details refer here
Registration is at The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth on Saturday 1 March between 2pm-6pm.
At registration you will collect your race bag, race number (with timing chip attached to back of bib) and any merchandise you may have purchased.
Minor spot prizes will be pre-drawn and winners will be notified in their race packs. Make sure you check your race pack prior to leaving registration to see if you have won a minor spot prize. Minor spot prizes can be collected at registration.
Your event is being timed with ChronoTrack B-tags. Either one or two small strips (depending on event) will be attached to the back of your bib. Your tag is programmed with the number on your bib. Your bibs will be issued at registration.
Please do not attempt to remove tag(s).
- Please do not cover tag – the full bib must be visible at all times.
- Attach bib to lower half of your running top using safety pins.
- Please do not crease or fold bib. If you crease or fold the tag(s) the tag will fail.
Failure to follow the above instructions may lead to your time not being recorded.
Note: Both competitors in the 2 person team relay will have timing tags on their bibs. For the 4 person team relay only the first and fourth runner/walker will have timing tags on their bibs.
- Marathon and Marathon Relay competitors (from Egmont National Park)
- Walkers: 6:30am
- Runners: 7:30am
- Half Marathon competitors (from Inglewood)
- Walkers: 9:40 am
- Runners: 9:30 am
The first 4km of the marathon is extremely fast. Remember to plan your early pace. There are hills towards the end which will take their toll if you start too fast.
Marathon and Marathon relay start notes
- It is strongly recommended that competitors utilise the free buses provided in the interest of participant safety.
- No vehicles will be permitted past Kaimiro Hall (4km from start) after 7.00am.
- Competitors and supporters travelling up Egmont Road to the start line must take extreme care as walkers will be coming down this section of the road.
- Parking is not permitted around the start area. Please note any vehicle travelling to the start will be directed into a farm paddock (which is often boggy) approximately 400 metres from the start and will be required to remain there until after ALL competitors have left. Race organisers will accept no responsibility for any vehicle which gets stuck in this paddock. The road must be clear for the competitors at all times.
Marathon / Marathon Relays
- Walkers – leaving from New Plymouth (to start line)
- Depart at 5.30am sharp from Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
- Walkers – leaving from Inglewood (to start line)
- Depart at 5.45am sharp from Inglewood Band Rotunda.
- Runners – leaving from New Plymouth (to start line)
- Depart at 6.30am sharp from Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
- Runners – leaving from Inglewood (to start line)
- Depart at 6.45am sharp from Inglewood Band Rotunda.
- Runners and Walkers – leaving from New Plymouth (to start line at Inglewood)
- Depart at 8.30am sharp from Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
- Runners and Walkers – leaving from Waitara (to start line at Inglewood)
- Depart at 8.30am sharp from Marine Park end of Centennial Avenue, Waitara.
Buses will also be available to transport competitors from the finish line Marine Park Waitara back to Race Headquarters at approximately 11.15am and 12.30pm.
Gear vans will be at the start line to carry your gear to the finish at Marine Park, Waitara. A mini van will also take first team competitors gear to half-way changeover. Place your gear in a plastic bag marked with your name and race number. Competitors are fully responsible for security of their personal belongings at the event.
Walkers assessed to be running by our walking scrutineers on the course will be transferred to the running section of the event. The scrutineer’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Referee: To be confirmed
Jury of Appeal: TET Athletics Taranaki
Walking Scrutineers: Taranaki Race Walking Club
Marathon Two Person Relay Team Identification
The first half competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter A and the second half competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter B.
Marathon Two Person Relay Team Changeover at Inglewood
Two lanes will be arranged at half-way. Team competitors are to use the right lane to changeover. Please do not impair the left lane. Follow the instructions of our marshals. No official half-way times will be recorded.
Marathon Four Person Relay Team Identification
The first four person relay competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter A, the second competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter B, the third competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter C and the fourth competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter D.
Note. For the four person team relay only the first and fourth runner/walker will have timing tags on their bibs.
Teams at finish
To avoid timekeeping conflicts only the second-half competitor (two person relay) or the fourth competitor (four person relay) is to cross the finish line at Marine Park, Waitara.
Official timing finishes at 1.30pm. Any entrant expecting to take longer than this time must make their own back-up arrangements.
More FM (93.5FM) will broadcast reports during the running of the event including final race results.
Drinks and Refreshments
- Water stops are located at 4km, 9km, 14.5km, 19.4km, 21.1km (half marathon finish only), 25.3km, 27.9km, 30km, 32.5km, 35.1km, 37.9km, 40.1km (approximately) and finish.
- Electrolyte drink (Sqwincher) will be available at 9km, 14.5km, 19.4km, 21.1km (half marathon finish only), 25.3km, 30km, 35.1km, 37.9km, 40.1km (approximately) and finish.
- Water will be in white cups and the Sqwincher will be in clear cups.
- Please make your own arrangements for other drinks. While these may be handed out at anytime, supporters must take extreme care with regard to traffic and other competitors. They must keep out of the traffic flow and hand out all drinks from a stationary position.
- Watermelon and bananas will be available at both Inglewood and Waitara for all finishing competitors.
Toilets are available at the start line. PLEASE USE THEM! – not the National Park bush areas.
Toilet facilities are also provided at half way (Inglewood), the end of Richmond Road (at the 37.9km water stop) and the finish.
Race photos can be viewed on Deane Riddick’s website www.deaneriddickphotography.com. Photos will be available for sale from Deane’s website at a cost of $15.00 each plus $2 postage.
Prizegiving will be held at the New Plymouth Girl’s High School, Mangorei Road, New Plymouth at 4.00pm. All competitors and supporters are welcome to attend.
Only age group winners will be invited on stage. Other place getters will be invited to collect their prizes at the conclusion of prizegiving.
Spot prizes - you must be present at prizegiving to qualify for a major spot prize
Minor spot prizes will be pre-drawn and winners will be notified in their race packs. Minor spot prizes to be collected at registration (The Auto Lodge, Devon Street East New Plymouth) on Saturday 1 March between 2pm-6pm.
Happy Hour - to be confirmed
At the conclusion of prizegiving competitors and their supporters are invited to a mix and mingle happy hour at the Auto Lodge Motor Inn, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
Our Chosen Charity
The Bayleys Mountain to Surf Marathon supports the Taranaki Branch of the Child Cancer Foundation as our event charity. Participants are invited to support this very worthy cause by way of donations or better still by raising sponsorship.
Donations will be accepted at Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth during registration.
Sponsors - thank you sponsors!
We are particularly grateful for the support of our sponsors. Without these sponsors we would not be able to run and organise this iconic event. Please support the sponsors who support our event!