Click on the button above for the 2013 results
Race weekend updates – click on the two buttons below
We will look forward to seeing you ar registration on Saturday – 1-5pm, at The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth
Mountain to Surf Marathon Course starts at the gates to Egmont National Park (Egmont Road), Finishes at the Surf at Waitara
Note: For 2013 there is a slight modification the finish of the course in Waitara. Rather than finishing in Marine Park we will be finishing at Battiscombe Park, Battiscombe Terrace due to previous booking at Marine Park.
We extend a warm welcome to competitors and supporters.
We trust you will all enjoy running/walking one of New Zealand’s most interesting marathon courses. We look forward to plenty of ‘personal bests” and we are sure you will have a memorable time.
Event Options available
- Marathon – 42.2k, point to point course (from the gates of Mount Egmont National Park to the surf at Waitara) For full course details refer here
- Marathon Relay (2 person team – change over at half way at Inglewood – each do 21.1k), point to point course (from the gates of Mount Egmont National Park to the surf at Waitara). For full course details refer here
- Half Marathon – 21.1k point to point course (from Ingelwood to the surf Waitara) For full course details refer here
- 10k – Multi Loop (four laps) course starting and Finishing in Waitara For full course details refer here
- Kids run (2.2k) – within the park / reserve at Waitara – open to kids over 5
Walkers & runners welcome
- Marathon & Marathon Relay competitors
- Walkers: 6:30am
- Runners: 7:30am
- Half Marathon competitors
- Walkers: 9:40 am
- Runners: 9:30 am
- 10k Competitors
- All: 10:15 am
- Kids run
- All 11:00 am
The first 4km of this marathon is extremely fast. Remember to plan your early pace. There are hills towards the end which will take their toll if you start too fast.
- Saftety Rules
- Gear Vans
- Team identification
- Team changeover at Inglewood
- Teams at finish
- Finishing time
- Race reports
- Walking etiquette
- Drinks and refreshments
- Race photos
- Spot prizes
- Happy hour
- Our chosen charity – Child Cancer Society
- Sponsors – please support our sponsors!
- Race officials
- Liaison officers
Registration / Bib number Collections
Registration is at the Auto Lodge, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth. on Saturday 2nd March between 1pm – 5pm.
At registration you will collect your
- rego bag
- race number
- timing chip, and
- any merchandise you may have purchased
All competitors are expected to collect their rego packs etc then, thank you.
We look forward to seeing you then!
Marathon & Marathon relay start notes
- No vehicles will be permitted past Kaimiro Hall (4km from start) after 7.00am.
- Competitors and supporters travelling up Egmont Road to the start line must take extreme care as walkers will be coming down this section of the road.
- Parking is not permitted around the start area. Please note any vehicle travelling to the start will be directed into a farm paddock (which is often boggy) approximately 400 metres from the start and will be required to remain there until after ALL competitors have left. Race organisers will accept no responsibility for any vehicle which gets stuck in this paddock. The road must be clear for the competitors at all times.
It is strongly recommended that competitors use the courtesy bus service in the interest of participant safety.
Half Marathon start notes
10k Start notes
Kids run Start notes
These will be issued at registration.
All competitors need to attach their transponder to their shoe.
Note: for those doing the marathon relay there will one timing chip for each team member.
First half team competitors completing the leg from Egmont National Park to Inglewood will be required to cross the timing map at Inglewood to finish the opening half. Once the first half competitors have crossed the timing map they must remove and hand in their timing chip to the officals at the change over point
Second half competitors starting at Inglewood must also cross the timing mat at Inglewood as they start their run (behind their first half team mate)
Results for the marathon team relay will include a splits for each half of the relay as the combined team based on when team member two reaches the finish line.
It is your responsibility to ensure the transponder is returned to race officials at the completion of the event. Transponders not returned/damaged will incur a replacement fee of $50.00 payable by the registered entrant.
Marathon / Marathon Relay
- Walkers – leaving from New Plymouth (to start line)
- Depart at 5.30am sharp from Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
- Walkers – leaving from Inglewood (to start line)
- Depart at 5.45am sharp from Inglewood Band Rotunda.
- Runners – leaving from New Plymouth (to start line)
- Depart at 6.30am sharp from from from Race Headquarters, The Auto Lodge, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
- Runners – leaving from Inglewood (to start line)
- Depart at 6.45am sharp from Inglewood Band Rotunda.
Buses will also be available to transport competitors from the finish line back to Race Headquarters.
- All – leaving from Waitara (to start line at Inglewood)
- Depart at 8:30am sharp from from Battiscombe Terrace, (next to the finish line), Waitara
Vans will be at the start line to carry your gear to the finish at Waitara. A mini van will also take first team competitors gear to half-way changeover. Place your gear in a plastic bag marked with your name and race number.
Marathon relay team identification
Ribbons that have been provided in your race pack must be pinned to your back right shoulder. (to be confirmed)
The first half competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter A and the second half competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter B.
Marathon relay team changeover at Inglewood
Two lanes will be arranged at half-way. Team competitors are to use the right lane to changeover. Please do not impair the left lane. Follow the instructions of our marshals. No official half-way times will be recorded.
TEAMS AT FINISH
To avoid timekeeping conflicts only the second-half competitor is to cross the finish line at Marine Park, Waitara.
FINISHING TIME / Course closes
Official timing finishes at 1.00pm.
More FM (93.5FM) will broadcast reports during the running of the event including final race results.
Toilets are available at the start line. PLEASE USE THEM! – not the National Park bush areas.
Toilet facilities are also provided at the water stations at 9km, 19.4km, 21.1km, 25km, 32.5km, 37.5km and the finish.
Walkers assessed to be running by our walking scrutineers on the course will be transferred to the running section of the event. The scrutineer’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
DRINKS AND REFRESHMENTS
- Water stops are located at 4km, 9km, 14.5km, 19.4km, 21.1km, 25km, 27.5km, 30km, 32.5km, 34km, 37.5km and 40.1km (approximately).
- Electrolyte (isotronic drink) will be available at 9km, 14.5km, 19.4km, 21.1 (half marathon finish only), 25km, 30km, 34km, 37.5km and finish.
- Water will be in white cups and the Electrolyte will be in clear cups.
- Please make your own arrangements for other drinks. While these may be handed out at anytime, supporters must take extreme care with regard to traffic and other competitors. They must keep out of the traffic flow and hand out all drinks from a stationary position.
- Watermelon and bananas will be available at both Inglewood and Waitara for all finishing competitors.
Race photos can be viewed on Deane Riddick’s website www.deaneriddickphotography.com. Photos will be available for sale from Deane’s website at a cost of $15 each plus $2 postage.
Prizegiving will be held at the New Plymouth Boy’s High School, Coronation Avenue, New Plymouth at 3.30pm. All competitors and supporters are welcome to attend.
Only age group winners will be invited on stage. Other place getters will be invited to collect their prizes at the conclusion of prizegiving.
SPOT PRIZES – you must be present at prizegiving to qualify for a major spot prize
Minor spot prizes will be pre-drawn and winners will be notified in their race packs. Minor spot prizes to be collected at registration (The Auto Lodge, Devon Street East New Plymouth) on Saturday 3 March between 1.00pm and 5:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR – to be confirmed
At the conclusion of prizegiving competitors and their supporters are invited to a mix and mingle happy hour at the Auto Lodge Motor Inn, 393 Devon Street East, New Plymouth.
OUR CHOSEN CHARITY
The Bayleys Mountain to Surf Marathon supports the Taranaki Branch of the Child Cancer Foundation as our event charity. Participants are invited to support this very worthy cause by way of donations or better still by raising sponsorship.
Donations will be accepted at Race Headquarters during registration.
SPONSORS – thank you sponsors!
We are particularly grateful for the support of our sponsors. Without these sponsors we would not be able to run and organise this iconic event. Please support the sponsors who support our event!
The marathon starts at the gates to Egmont National Park, 460m above sea level, running down Egmont Road through the green dairy pastures of Taranaki.
Referee: To be confirmed
Jury of Appeal: Energy City Harriers
Taranaki Race Walking Club