Race location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Race date: Saturday 3 March 2018
We will look forward to seeing you at registration on Friday 2 March between 4pm-8pm, at East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth
The Mountain to Surf marathon, two person and four person relay is a point to point course that starts at the gates to Egmont National Park (460m above sea level) on the flanks of the imposing dormant volcano Mount Taranaki and then winds its way through picturesque North Taranaki countryside, along the Coastal Walkway, finishing at East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth.
The half marathon is a point to point course that starts at Hillsborough Hall, Cnr Egmont and Henwood roads, Bell Block and winds its way down to the Coastal Walkway, finishing at East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth.
We extend a warm welcome to competitors and supporters.
We trust you will all enjoy running/walking one of New Zealand’s most interesting marathon courses. We look forward to plenty of ‘personal bests” and we are sure you will have a memorable time.
- Event Options Available
- Timing Transponders
- Start Times
- Marathon and Marathon relay start notes
- Gear Vans
- Walking Etiquette
- Race Officials
- Two Person Marathon Relay Team identification
- Two Person Marathon Relay Team changeover at 971 Mountain Road (SH 3A), Inglewood
- Four Person Marathon Relay Team identification
- Teams at Finish
- Finishing Time
- Race Reports
- Drink Stations
- Race Photos
- Finisher Certificates
- Refreshments and Food
- Our Chosen Charity – Child Cancer Foundation
- Sponsors – please support our sponsors!
Event Options Available – walkers and runners welcome
- Marathon – 42.2km point to point course from the gates of Egmont National Park to East End Reserve, New Plymouth to East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth. Medals for all marathon finishers. Click here to view a map of the course.
- Two-Person Marathon Relay – two person team, change over at 971 Mountain Road, SH 3A, Inglewood (half way). Each do 21.1km, point to point course from the gates of Egmont National Park to East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth). Click here to view a map of the course.
- Four-Person Marathon Relay – four person team, change overs at Dudley Road School (9km), 971 Mountain Road, SH 3A, Inglewood (20.8km) and De Havilland Drive (32.1km) – first leg 9km, second leg 10.8km, third leg 11.3km and fourth leg 10.1km. Point to point course from the gates of Egmont National Park to East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth. Click here to view a map of the course.
- Half Marathon – 21.1km point to point course from Hillsborough Hall, Cnr Egmont and Henwood roads, Bell Block to East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth.
Registration is at East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth on Friday 2 March between 4pm-8pm.
At registration you will collect your race bag, race number (with timing chip attached to back of bib) and any merchandise you may have purchased.
Minor spot prizes will be pre-drawn and winners will be notified in their race packs. Make sure you check your race pack prior to leaving registration to see if you have won a minor spot prize. Minor spot prizes can be collected at registration.
Your event is being timed with ChronoTrack B-tags. Either one or two small strips (depending on event) will be attached to the back of your bib. Your tag is programmed with the number on your bib. Your bibs will be issued at registration.
Please do not attempt to remove tag(s).
- Please do not cover tag – the full bib must be visible at all times.
- Attach bib to lower half of your running top using safety pins.
- Please do not crease or fold bib. If you crease or fold the tag(s) the tag will fail.
Failure to follow the above instructions may lead to your time not being recorded.
Note: Both competitors in the two person team relay will have timing tags on their bibs. For the four person team relay only the first and fourth runner/walker will have timing tags on their bibs.
- Marathon and Marathon Relay competitors (from Egmont National Park)
- Walkers: 6:30am
- Runners: 7:30am
- Half Marathon competitors (from Hillsborough Hall, corner Egmont and Henwood roads, New Plymouth)
- Walkers: 9:40 am
- Runners: 9:30 am
Marathon and Marathon relay start notes
- It is strongly recommended that competitors utilise the free buses provided in the interest of participant safety.
- No vehicles will be permitted past Kaimiro Hall (4km from start) after 7.00am.
- Competitors and supporters travelling up Egmont Road to the start line must take extreme care as walkers will be coming down this section of the road.
- Parking is not permitted around the start area. The road must be clear for the competitors at all times.
Marathon / Marathon Relays
- Walkers – leaving from Race Headquarters, East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth (to start line at gates of Egmont National Park)
- Depart at 5.30am sharp
- Runners – leaving from Race Headquarters, East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth (to start line at gates of Egmont National Park)
- Depart at 6.30am sharp
- Runners and Walkers – leaving from Race Headquarters, East End Surf Club, New Plymouth (to start line at Hillsborough Hall, Cnr Egmont and Henwood roads)
- Depart at 8.45am sharp
Two gear vans will be at the marathon start line (gates to Egmont National Park). One van will take marathon competitors gear to the finish at East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth. The other van will take first team competitors gear to half-way changeover (971 Mountain Road, SH 3A, Inglewood).
A gear van will also be at the half marathon start line (Hillsborough Hall, Cnr Egmont and Henwood roads, Bell Block) to take competitors gear to the finish at East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth.
Place your gear in a plastic bag marked with your name and race number. Competitors are fully responsible for security of their personal belongings at the event.
Walkers assessed to be running by our walking scrutineers on the course will be transferred to the running section of the event. The scrutineer’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
For safety reasons, wheeled conveyances (including wheelchairs, baby buggies, scooters, bikes, inline skates), headphones and personal music devices cannot be used. Accompanying animals are not allowed on the course. Given the nature of the course it is unsafe for cars and bikes to follow the participants.
Referees: Neale and Fiona Parkinson (Runners)
Taranaki Race Walking Club
Two Person Marathon Relay Team Identification
Two Person Marathon Relay Team Changeover at 971 Mountain Road, SH 3A, Inglewood
Two lanes will be arranged at half-way. Team competitors are to use the right lane to changeover. Please do not impair the left lane. Follow the instructions of our marshals. No official half-way times will be recorded.
Four Person Marathon Relay Team Identification
The first four person relay competitor must run/walk with the race number suffixed by the letter A, the second competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter B, the third competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter C and the fourth competitor with the race number suffixed by the letter D.
Teams at finish
To avoid timekeeping conflicts only the second-half competitor (two person relay) or the fourth competitor (four person relay) is to cross the finish line at East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth.
- Marathon, two person and four person relay drink stations will be at approximately 4km, 9km*, 14km*, 19km*, 21km*, 24km*, 28km, 30km*, 32km, 35km*, 38km*, 40km and finish*.
- Half marathon drink stations will be at approximately 7km, 9km*, 11km, 14km*, 17km*, 19km* and finish*.
- At the kilometres marked with an asterisk an electrolyte drink (sqwincher) will also be available.
- Water will be in white cups and the Sqwincher will be in clear cups.
- Please make your own arrangements for other drinks. While these may be handed out at any time, supporters must take extreme care with regard to traffic and other competitors. They must keep out of the traffic flow and hand out all drinks from a stationary position.
- Bananas will be available at both half way (971 Mountain Road, SH 3A, Inglewood) and the finish (East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth) for all finishing competitors.
Marathon, two person and four person relays – toilets are available at the start line (gates to Egmont National Park). PLEASE USE THEM and not the National Park bush areas! Toilets are also available at the TET Stadium, Inglewood (approximately 14.7km) and Hickford Park Sportsground, Smeaton Road, Bell Block.
Half marathon – toilets are available at the start (Hillsborough Hall).
Prizegiving will be held at the East End Reserve, Nobs Line, New Plymouth at 4.00pm. All competitors and supporters are welcome to attend.
Only age group winners will be invited on stage. Other place getters will be invited to collect their prizes at the conclusion of prizegiving.
Prize money will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall open men and women marathon runners. 1st – $1,000, 2nd – $500, 3rd – $250.
Vouchers will be awarded to category winners for marathon walkers (men and women), half marathon runners and walkers (men and women), two person relay (men, women and mixed) runners and walkers and four person relay (mixed) runners and walkers.
Trophies will be awarded to 1st placing in each age group category for men and women marathon runners.
All marathon finishers will receive a finisher medal.
Spot prizes - you must be present at prizegiving to qualify for a major spot prize
Minor spot prizes will be pre-drawn and winners will be notified in their race packs. Minor spot prizes to be collected at registration (East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth) on Friday 3 March between 4pm-8pm.
Finisher certificates will be available online at www.mountaintosurf.co.nz.
Refreshments and Food
Refreshments will be available for purchase at the finish throughout the day. Full bar facilities will also be available before and after prizegiving at East End Surf Club, Nobs Line, New Plymouth. Please join us for HAPPY HOUR at the conclusion of prizegiving.
Our accommodation sponsor Quality Hotel Plymouth International and Auto Lodge Motor Inn offer a choice of places to stay in New Plymouth. Both providing supreme comfort and a central location, a warm welcome awaits.
Quality Hotel Plymouth International
220 Courtenay Street, New Plymouth
Freephone: 0800 800 597
Auto Lodge Motor Inn New Plymouth
393 Devon St East, New Plymouth
Freephone: 0800 800 896
Our Chosen Charity
The Bayleys Mountain to Surf Marathon supports the Taranaki Branch of the Child Cancer Foundation as our event charity. Participants are invited to support this very worthy cause by way of donations or better still by raising sponsorship.
Sponsors - thank you sponsors!
We are particularly grateful for the support of our sponsors. Without these sponsors we would not be able to run and organise this iconic event. Please support the sponsors who support our event!
Silver SponsorsBTW Company
City Care New Plymouth
RMY Legal New Plymouth
Symons Transport Services
Quality Hotel Plymouth International
Auto Lodge Motor Inn New Plymouth
Blackwoods Protector Safety
Budget New Plymouth
Crazy Pumpkin New Plymouth
Dobsons Marquee & Party Hire Ltd
The Warehouse New Plymouth