- Consult your GP, if you have any doubts, stating your intentions before commencing your training.
- Start off slowly and cautiously. You may be intending to walk or jog your way around the marathon so be prepared to walk or jog during training. Vary your running surface.
- On long runs drink water before you run, and sip water during the run.
- Eat a well balanced sensible diet. Increase the carbohydrate content with rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.
- Wear the right shoes for you. Go to a runners shop and seek advice. By the time of the marathon you need a pair of comfortable shoes that are not worn out.
- Wear a kit that is comfortable. Don’t wear it from new – wear it/wash it before you run in it. If your nipples rub use plasters or Vaseline.
- If you pick up an injury then stop. RICE! Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Don’t start back too early with your training
Possible runs around New Plymouth
- 9k Huatoki Rd and Walkway
- 9k Pukekura Park and Te Henui Walkway
- 10k Lake Rotomanu via the walkway
- 13k Description needed
- 15k Huatoki Walkway Veale Rd Pembroke Huatoki
- 15k Lake Rotomanu and return on Walkway
- 15k Meeting of the Waters
- 21k Tank farm and Walkway
- 21k Reversed Daily News Half marathon course
- 21k Ratapihi Huatoki
- 25k Pheeny Rd and Tank Farm
- 27k Meeting of the Waters Dorset and Smart Rd return via Rotomanu Lake
- 27k Half marathon course + Poukai Zoo
- 27k All the waterways
- 32k Lepperton BBK
Silver SponsorsBTW Company
City Care New Plymouth
RMY Legal New Plymouth
Symons Transport Services
Quality Hotel Plymouth International
Auto Lodge Motor Inn New Plymouth
Blackwoods Protector Safety
Budget New Plymouth
The Warehouse New Plymouth